© fishpike 2012. Design by fishpike
T: 0845 450068
Newby Hall is an historic mansion house and Grade I listed building situated on the
banks of the River Ure at Skelton-
25 acres of award-
Need to Know
The Hall is open from April to September, every day except Monday.
There are guided tours of the house and gardens, every hour, on the hour.
The house and grounds are open to the public.
The grounds include gardens, parks, woods and a children’s play area.
A 2007 TV adaptation of Jane Austen's Mansfield Park was filmed at the Hall.
Starring Billie Piper, as the main character, Fanny and Jemma Redgrave, Mansfield Park is the story of a young girl from a poor background who is brought up by her wealthy uncle and aunt, Sir Thomas and Lady Bertram.
Fanny is always regarded as inferior by the cousins with whom she is raised, except for one of them, Edmund.
Over the years, Fanny’s fondness of Edmund grows into a romantic love, as she reaches adulthood.
As you might expect from an Austen novel, and there are many twists and turns before in Fanny’s life over the course of the story.
The beautiful Newby Hall setting proves to be the perfect setting for this made for TV series.
This statue of Oliver Cromwell, towering over King Charles II was originally a Polish king trampling on a Turk. It was brought to England and altered in the 17th century.
It was moved to Newby Hall in 1882.
Cromwell tramples upon Charles II
The Adventure Garden for children has been thoughtfully and safely designed for children of all ages. From the interactive waterplay area, sandpit and swings for toddlers through to climbing frames and bridges, an aerial slide and pedalo boats for the older children, all ages are catered for. The famous Miniature Railway is for children and adults.
In 1697, with the aid of Sir Christopher Wren, the house was built by Sir Edward Blackett MP after he bought and demolished the old manor house which was on the site.
William Waddell MP, an ancestor of the present owners, the Compton family, bought the house in 1748. He enlarged the house and had the interiour remodelled by several architects, including Robert Adam.
The Compton family, have restored the property and the Hall and gardens are open to the public.
The house and gardens have magnificent herbaceous borders and extensive woodland walks, as well as collections of furniture, painting and precious artefacts within the house. The River Ure runs along the south side of the grounds of Newby Hall.
In 1979, the newly-